Friday, April 11, 2008

#1 - Black Swan Vineyards Shiraz

We got this little Australian number for $5.99 at the local Liquors 44!

A lot of wines say that they are jammy. It seems to be a buzz word for cheaper, fruiter wines - "lush, jammy flavors of blackberry and cherry..."

Sure, they're sweet. But jammy? No, jammy requires something special, something extra. It has to hit the roof of your mouth just right, and feel round. If a wine says that it is jammy, I want to crave peanut butter with every sip, dammit!

This wine delivers. On my first sip, I could almost taste the peanut butter and soft bread dancing with it on my palette.

I tried it again today. It is still the jammiest wine I have ever tasted. Furthermore, it even stretches beyond - this wine is like jello. It has that same high, slightly sweet feeling of pressing a little spoon of cherry jello into your mouth and feeling it on the roof of your mouth before it melts and deposits sweet, rich fruitiness throughout the rest of your mouth.

$5.99 for childhood nostalgia that makes you tipsy, folks.

No comments: