Saturday, April 19, 2008

#4 - Full Circle Merlot

As we learned in the last post, Full Circle Cabernet was the Oldsmobile of Cabernets... solid, dependable, and not very exciting. I wondered aloud if the Full Circle Merlot I was opening would be more of the same.

Ugh! Even when I am not fond of a wine's distinctive flavor notes, it's usually drinkable, especially after I've had a glass of good wine and am just looking for a second glass to lull me off to sleep. However, there is something insidious lurking at the tail end of this wine. You take a sip, and it's kind of dull, and then as you swallow it down and the aftertaste hits your tongue... bam, there it is. A coating of yuck.

Out of my devotion to the craft, I took several more sips to try to figure out where it went wrong and what that aftertaste was. I even waited a day and took another sip, hoping that my taste buds had failed me. No, it was still there. I know that I have sensitive taste buds, so I poured a little for my housemate, who generally categorizes wines as "red" and "not red." (Occasionally, he humors me.) He took a sip, and as the aftertaste washed over him, a notable cringe formed on his face.

"That's... not so pleasant!"

Me: "Try more!"

He gamely took another sip, and identified the yucky part as the aftertaste. But neither of us could put words to it.

In the end, I decided that it had a faint taste of hard boiled egg, or rather it tasted the way that hard boiled eggs smell. This wine can't even serve as a second glass, and am I tentative about using it to cook with. I may toss a bit into a pot with a piece of meat that I am not particularly attached to and see if it works there. If so, the remaining two thirds of the bottle will be cooking wine, and I will never go there again.

No comments: